What we know as the Little White Schoolhouse was built in 1853 as Ripon’s first public school. In 1854, several men came together in this schoolhouse because they did not want slavery extended into the western territories. This meeting led to naming a new political party. Designated as a National Historic Landmark it is also listed on the State and National Registry of Historic Places.
First located on the triangle of Blackburn, Thorne, and East Fond du Lac Streets, the building served as a schoolhouse until 1860. It was moved and remodeled to a be a private house and George W. Peck, who became Governor of Wisconsin, once lived there. Over the years the Little White Schoolhouse was moved several times and now resides at 1074 West Fond Du Lac Street. It is open to the public as a museum and run by a non-profit organization. More information can be found on their website. https://www.LWSH.org