The City of Ripon was founded in 1849 and at that time was a small village of about dozen buildings. However, its leaders voted to start a higher education system. In January 1851, a charter was granted by the state to form a higher learning institution in Ripon. Brockway College became a reality and was named after its largest private donor, William Brockway. Later renamed Ripon College it is still an anchor in the Ripon community. Every year approximately 1,000 students from the United States and international countries attend college in Ripon. Ripon College maintains its own archives ripon.edu/archives
. The campus of Ripon College was named a historic district in 1995 and is listed on the State and National Registry of Historic Places. For more information on Ripon College visit their website.
“Further resolved that the directors be authorized in their discretion to contract for the
erection of a building in the village of Ripon, of stone, fifty feet square, two stories high,
with hip roof, dome, etc., to be used for the proposed of education.” Alvan E. Bovay,
Ripon City Clerk and founding member of Ripon College.